Travel / studies
We've brought together the latest insights from the travel sector, including case studies and thoughts from leaders to help you develop your travel digital strategy. Dive deep into insights around how consumers decide on airlines, hotels, car rentals and cruises for their travel needs.
Role of Search in Travel Purchasing
The objective of the study was to map the role of search in the purchasing process in the Italian online travel market.
- The results indicate that search is a critical part of the customer journey - nearly three quarters ...
How Expedia Drove More Shoppers to its Website
Like many retailers, Expedia UK, the leading online travel provider in the UK, wanted to know more about how to effectively drive traffic to its website. Google and Marketshare analyzed Expedia shoppers' online behavior and found:
- Reallocating the same budget ...
How Search Helps Drive Purchases in The UK Travel Market
Search has become a critical first step for traveling consumers. Google and Nielsen examined the search behaviors of travel shoppers throughout the UK and found:
- 92% of online travel purchasers used search
- 90% of purchasers used a generic search
- Travel ...
Travel Hotel Consumers: How Online Research Affects Bookings
A look at how travelers use online and offline resources to book hotels. A Compete survey found:
- Half of all hotel researchers indicated researching exclusively online
- Price was the leading reason for why consumers booked on a specific hotel website ...
Traveler's Road to Decision 2010
As more Americans plan to travel, their use of the internet for travel-related research grows as well. A Google/OTX study gives insight into how travel shopping behaviors have evolved since past years, including:
- In 2010, there is a focus ...
Role of Video in the Travel Shopping Process
Travelers seem to be saying - show me, don't tell me. This Compete study found that people who watch travel-related videos are more likely to:
- Have a higher frequency of search referrals to travel sites
- Spend an average of 41 ...
Travel Cruise Consumers: How Online Research Affects Purchase
1 out of 4 people looking for a cruise start their journey online. Other insights from this Compete study include:
- 83% of cruise shoppers indicated that they researched on cruise operator websites
- Shoppers who used a search engine during their ...
Air Traveler's Road to Decision 2010
Online research is taking off for travelers and airlines. More insights from an OTX survey found:
- 1 out of 4 comparison shop with Google
- Comparison shopping for flights is commonplace, even among wealthy travelers
- The majority of travelers check in ...
Cruiser's Road to Decision 2010
98% of cruisers comparison shop on Google before choosing a cruise line. Other insights from this study include:
- 1 in 3 vacationers are undecided on a cruise line and destination they want prior to starting their research
- Carnival remains market ...
Car Traveler's Road to Decision 2010
Nearly half of business travelers research online for car rentals before going on the road. This OTX study also found:
- 95+% of travelers comparison shop, mainly with Google, Expedia, Orbitz & Travelocity
- Enterprise remains market leader; however, affluent travelers favor Hertz
Hotel Traveler's Road to Decision 2010
In 2010, 6% more travelers booked online than in 2009. Consumer research behavior from this OTX survey includes:
- Nearly 3 in 4 affluents book hotels online
- 97% of personal shoppers say they comparison shop to some extent every time
- Google ...
Affluent Traveler's Road to Decision 2010
Affluent travelers are more tech savvy when it comes to booking trips, according to an OTX survey:
- Affluent travelers watch video throughout the travel process and prefer expert videos to user generated
- They're 18% more likely than general travelers ...