- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States
Understand Consumer Behavior / studies
It’s an adage as old as the advertising industry itself: know your customer. Digital media gives marketing professionals extraordinary new tools for acquiring detailed information about and reaching consumers. But the proliferation of new media also raises our curiosity. What are consumers’ general media habits like? How do they toggle between online and offline? Is your customer more impulsive or thoughtful?
Here at Think Insights with Google, we're curious about all these human behaviors too. Lucky for you, we've done all the heavy lifting. You can find something about your consumer here, across virtually every media platform and most major industries. So go ahead, get to know your customer.
For the first time ever the majority of purchasers does online research before purchasing. The online purchase share shows limited growth for most products, however online research grows strongly and consistently across all countries and products.
- Online purchase mainly grows in travel and media, however online research grows strongly and consistently across all countries and products.
- Online research grows equally strong amongst online and offline purchasers and is consistent amongst countries and products as well.
- Products of higher value show both more online research and more online purchase than lower value products.
With Ireland's smartphone penetration now at 43% and 67% of smartphone owners accessing the Internet every day from their device, mobile has become an indispensable part of our daily lives. Google partnered with Ipsos OTX Media CT to understand how the growing adoption of smartphones has transformed consumer behavior from media consumption to commerce to connecting with the world around us. These insights can help advertisers understand how to best use smartphones to engage with their customers. Here's what we found:
- Smartphone users are multi-tasking their media with 89% using their phone while doing other things such as watching TV (59%). 89% of smartphone users look for local information on their phone and 90% take action a result.
- Smartphones are critical shopping tools with 82% having researched a product or service on their device. 36% of smartphone users have made a purchase on their phone.
- Mobile ads are noticed by 92% of smartphone users. Smartphones are also a critical component of traditional advertising as 69% have performed a search on their smartphone after seeing an offline ad. Review the full study to understand the business implications and opportunities for marketers.
This study analyzes the finance, travel and insurance verticals in Ireland.
- On average, international companies with local Irish online shops earn the highest amount of online spendings.
- Online payment with credit and laser cards are the most relevant and preferred methods of payment for buying travel, insurance and financial products online.
- Search engines and websites of financial institutes dominate the initial and the intense online research phase for insurance and financial products