Micro-moments are the new battlegrounds for brands. To reach consumers, brands need to win these short but crucial moments, and, if integrated properly, mobile ads can help. In our last chapter of this series, we discuss what brands can do to take action and connect to their consumers on mobile.
There's a lot more to mobile advertising than banner ads and pop-ups. If integrated properly, mobile advertisements feel natural, increase brand awareness, and have the power to drive sales.
In fact, our research found that 62% of users reported noticing mobile search ads during the study period.1 Of those searches, 51% of mobile ads served boosted brand recall, even when users only recalled seeing ads in one in five of their searches.1
Prioritizing mobile friendly sites
When users grab their smartphones to fulfill a need during a micro-moment, we see they value speed and efficiency.1 To improve the user experience of searching on smartphones, we've made some improvements to our mobile search algorithm. We've developed two tools to help brands build better web experiences for their consumers:
Why mobile advertising works
Throughout this series, we've outlined how mobile searches are purposeful, immediate, and always-on. Consumers often pick up their smartphones to fulfill an immediate need, no matter what time of day, and expect to complete that action quickly, easily, and conveniently. Winning in these mobile moments is vital for marketers, and brands need to ensure they can be easily found and are available at all times.
Here's how to get started
Putting together a mobile strategy doesn’t need to be daunting. On our micro-moments site, we've provided five steps to help marketers anticipate and fulfill the needs of consumers, and ultimately win these mobile moments.
1) Make a moments map by identifying the moments your brand can't afford to
lose and examining all phases of the consumer journey
2) Understand consumers' in-the-moment needs, considering ways to make that journey as fast and convenient as possible
3) Use context like time, date, and location to deliver the right experience to the right consumer at the right moment
4) Optimize the journey so that consumers are able to move seamlessly through platforms and channels
5) Measure every moment that matters by creating credible estimates on the investment returns
1 Google Canada/Nielsen, "Mobile Search Moments Canada Study," March 2015.