You are reading part 1 of the 2022 Retail Marketing Guide. Jump to Chapter 2: Build your brand and acquire new customers; Chapter 3: Grow your online and in-app sales; Chapter 4: Drive foot traffic and in-store sales; or Chapter 5: Use insights to inform your strategy and boost performance.
People are shopping across Google more than a billion times a day1
In the last few years, we’ve seen a shift in the path to purchase, with shoppers combining online and in-store shopping experiences to meet their changing needs. Knowing when and where to show up is essential for connecting with current and potential customers.
Every day, hundreds of millions of people turn to Google to discover and shop for what they care about. Find out how you can meet your customers across all moments in the shopping journey.
Reach customers as they browse
People search online to explore new ideas and keep up with the things that matter to them. As shoppers browse across Google and YouTube, they discover new brands and products that are relevant to them.
41% of consumers in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Saudi Arabia said that they first became aware of a product they purchased via online channels.
To discover new brands and products that are relevant to them, shoppers:
- Find inspiration from watching YouTube videos. Eighty-four percent of people surveyed in the UAE say that sponsored video content on YouTube makes them more aware of new brands. We see similar trends in Saudi Arabia and Egypt.2
- Browse Google Images. There are hundreds of millions of shopping searches on Google Images every single month.3
- Scroll through Discover to catch up on interesting topics. Forty-one percent of consumers in the UAE and Saudi Arabia say they first became aware of a product they purchased via online channels.4
Engage customers as they research
Shoppers are constantly on the lookout for the best product to meet their needs. Before making a purchase, they seek information from trusted sources to compare products and narrow down their choices.
They turn to Google to find out which product is best in its category, compare prices, and check out the latest reviews.
84% of people surveyed in the UAE say that sponsored video content on YouTube makes them more aware of new brands, and we see similar trends in Saudi Arabia and Egypt.
To seek information, compare products, and narrow down choices, shoppers:
- Look for information and articles on Google Search. Across surveyed countries, over 40% of shoppers go to Google when researching a purchase they plan to make in-store or online.5
- Turn to YouTube to watch reviews and compare products they’re interested in. We saw a 40% rise in search interest for the term "product review" on YouTube in the UAE and Saudi Arabia.6
Convert customers looking to purchase
When it comes to making a purchase, convenience is key, and shoppers buy from brands that can provide a seamless experience wherever they prefer to shop. They want to be able to buy a product online as soon as they find it or see what a local store has in stock.
31% of consumers in surveyed countries say they are researching online more before purchasing to avoid stock, inventory, and shipping challenges.
To buy products online and see what stores have in stock, shoppers:
- Explore Maps to see what local stores they have in the area. Google Maps searches for “shopping near me” have grown globally by over 100% year over year.7
- Check Business Profiles on Google Maps to see if a local store is open and has a product available for pickup. Thirty-one percent of consumers in surveyed countries say they are researching online more before purchasing to avoid stock, inventory, and shipping challenges.8
- Find products and compare prices in the Shopping tab. Eighty four percent of consumers in the UAE and Saudi Arabia buy online because it's more convenient.9