Geo-based targeting techniques meet audience targeting strategies, and a tailored creative approach
In both its physical and online stores, Jarir Bookstore offers an extensive range of products that includes Arabic and English books, office and school supplies, children’s toys, arts and crafts materials, computers, mobile phones, audiovisual instruments and photography tools. For the brand’s latest campaign, it aimed to connect online with consumers who had no physical stores in their cities.
Although Jarir delivers its products across Saudi Arabia, data shows that remote cities in which the brand does not have physical stores actually boast more sales potential than major cities that do have shops. Jarir’s goal was to develop a strategy to achieve awareness around its e-commerce platform, as well as reach and influence users in remote cities.
Jarir had a two-pronged approach to meeting its objectives. Combining location targeting techniques with effective audience targeting strategies, it executed its strategy through an always-on campaign that captured ongoing opportunity.
Location targeting allowed for accurate inclusion and exclusion of geographic areas:
- City targeting: Through location targeting using Google Ads, Jarir was able to reach consumers in remote cities such as Al Baha, Najran, Arar, Haqil, and Buraydah.
- Radius targeting: Jarir used radius targeting to showcase ads to users within a 50-kilometer radius of a selected location.
- City exclusions: Location exclusions helped Jarir prevent ads from showing in major cities in which it has physical stores, namely Riyadh, Jeddah, Dammam, Madina, and Abha.
The brand’s audience targeting strategy helped Jarir find relevant users:
- Affinity and In-market: Jarir reached consumers in remote cities based on their interests and habits, and what they were actively researching online. Segments included technology enthusiasts and shoppers in the market for consumer electronics or gifts.
- Custom Intent: The brand reached consumers across YouTube and the Google Display Network based on the searches they made on Google Search.
- Remarketing: Jarir was able to build remarketing lists populated with users who had previously visited the website in remote cities, viewed specific product pages, and watched relevant videos on the brand’s YouTube channel. The brand then showed them ads relevant to their browsing history.
A mix of formats went into Jarir’s always-on campaign. To serve the upper funnel, Jarir served ads on the Google Display Network featuring customized images for each remote city. On YouTube, the team used Bumper and TrueView for Action ads to drive awareness and user actions. For the lower funnel, tailored search ads promoted a message emphasising the fact that Jarir not only delivers to users’ areas but also accepts cash on delivery.
Jarir’s search campaigns improved conversion rate threefold, increasing return on ad spend by a factor of 2.5 compared to the website’s average rate. The TrueView for Action campaign, that ran in remote cities, also positively affected brand metrics: a Brand Lift Study showed a best-in-class lift in awareness (6%) and consideration (10%). The accuracy rate was excellent, too: 95% of orders generated by the Google campaigns came from the targeted cities.