Argos used an innovative mix of dynamic media formats to add massive scale to a live music concert through a Google+ Hangout on Air. Connecting the right audience to an engaging live event at the right time, proving their ongoing drive to become a digital retail leader for everyone.
- Drive reappraisal with a younger digital native audience.
- Launch a huge rebrand showing their strong focus on digital and real-time shopping.
- Create a live event that brings the new brand to life for millions of people.
- 60 second launch ad for TV and Online.
- Live content via a Google+ Hangout to connect with fans.
- Content promoted in real time using YouTube Masthead and TrueView Ads
- 1.2m impressions via the YouTube Masthead of the Google+ event whilst live
- Masthead interaction rate of 9.29%
- 41% higher CTR vs UK industry benchmarks
With Argos' new "Get Set, Go Argos" platform they knew they had to do something big to "get people to sit up and take notice" if it was going to bring to life its ongoing drive to become a digital retail leader.
Aligning with their target audiences key passion of music, Argos partnered with Katy B to create a first of its kind digital event using Google+ Hangouts on Air, streaming a live music event in a YouTube Masthead. The initiative proved to be the perfect approach to engage and interact with a Gen C audience and successfully brought to life the brand's new energetic and vibrant personality, getting the party started in-store. It was scheduled into 3 main sections:
- A warm up performance from up and coming singer George Barnett.
- An outstanding appearance from headliner Katy B who performed for the first time ever in a live online event.
- A deep discussion around the future of music with outside experts from SBtv and Spotify.
Anyone around the globe could tune into the event across any device, including mobile. The event also appeared live in Search when users searched for "Argos" and anyone passing by their East London store could view the hangout streamed from their store window.
Post event the live content was broken down into short clips that were used to drive further awareness and were remarketed through YouTube's TrueView format.
Nicki Brown, Advertising Controller at Argos: "We're proud to have staged a live event the UK has never seen before with a fantastic headline artist, Katy B, for all of our customers to enjoy online via a Google+ Hangout. Being the first event of this kind streamed through the YouTube masthead, it's another example of how we are continually innovating and repositioning our business as a digital retail leader."