The Guardian saw a transition of its audience to mobile platforms and realised that users consumed more content and spent more time engaging on apps than on the web. With this audience 10 to 20 times more valuable than average web users, it made sense to invest in developing apps with native features for mobile, including personalisation and notifications. Feedback from reviews on Google Play enable the brand to continuously improve the product.
- Improve user experience and content relevance
- Increase engagement and drive habitual use of app
- Gain user insights to drive strategic decisions about product development and international growth
- Developed native apps with features not available on mobile web
- Used Android Wear integration to enable app notifications
- Enhanced personalisation capabilities on homepage
- Applied feedback from Google Play and Android beta programme to refine product
- Increased app rating from 4.0 to 4.4 in Google Play Store
- Achieved 90% op-in rate for app notifications
- Mobile and Android spearheaded growth in both emerging and developed markets
Having engaged users is critically important. In fact, in many ways it's more important than just having a large number of users.
- Anthony Sullivan, Director of Product, The Guardian