Mobile offers speed and convenience to potential LV=General Insurance (LV=GI) customers, enabling them to meet their insurance needs on the go and at any time. When the LV=GI team decided to migrate to a new website platform, they saw it as a perfect opportunity to significantly enhance their mobile experience from a customer and commercial perspective.
- About LV=GI
- UK’s third largest personal insurer
- Over 5 million customers
- Enhance user experience for online customers
- Improve page speed performance in relation to competitors
- Deliver seamless customer experience
- Improve engagement
- Applied mobile-first approach
- Identified potential changes to improve site speed using Google Lighthouse insights
- Developed business plan to demonstrate impact of site speed improvements on conversion performance
- Implemented and tested user experience changes
- Increased click-through rate from organic mobile traffic by 30%
- Improved page load speed index score 7X
- Increased car insurance start quote rate on mobile by 38.3%
- Increased home insurance start quote rate on mobile by 25.1%
- Reduced bounce rate by 7.4%
- Increased completed car insurance quotes on mobile by 30.4%
Pinpoint the areas to address
Working in partnership with the agency TH_NK, LV=GI defined a digital transformation strategy that included the need for a new “digital shop window”. Mobile objectives were hard-wired into the project. Specifically, LV=GI wanted to deliver an enhanced and seamless customer experience, drive engagement, and improve page speed in relation to their competitors.
Taking a mobile-first approach, the team set out to identify potential changes to improve site speed. They used Google Lighthouse insights throughout the development process to pinpoint key areas they needed to address. Based on the metrics, they developed a business plan demonstrating the impact of site speed improvements on conversion performance.
“One of the key objectives for this project was the optimisation of our mobile journey to improve our customer experience, but also to realise the commercial benefits.”
– Martin Faux, Head of Digital Platform, LV=GI
Analyse abandonment versus revenue uplift
The plan included a compelling cost/benefit analysis that illustrated the effect of faster loading pages on driving the start quote rate, a key performance indicator. They also produced abandonment versus revenue calculations, which translated page load speed into impact on business value.
Get C-level buy-in
Equipped with projections such as these, the team was able to get the support of the LV=GI board. Once they secured development resource, the team went on to implement and test the proposed user experience changes.
“While focusing heavily on optimising the mobile experience, we found that the use of Lighthouse has been a core tool throughout our pre and post production testing process.”
- Nicholas Gutteridge, Group Project Director, TH_NK
Watch the results unfold
The work added up to impressive performance gains. While the page load speed index score improved sevenfold, the click-through rate from organic mobile traffic increased by 30% and the bounce rate fell by 7.4%.
On mobile, the start quote rate went up by 38.3%, the home insurance start quote rate increased by 25.1%, and completed car insurance quotes improved by 30.4%.
“Digital transformation forms a core part of the LV=GI strategy and is in line with market trends and changes in consumer behaviour. Our ambition is to deliver a best-in-class digital and mobile-first customer experience.”
– Heather Smith, Managing Director of Direct, LV=GI
The decision to take a mobile-first approach – from the board level on down – has paid dividends, with the LV=GI “digital shop window” now easier to find, faster to use and delivering greater results for both the brand and user.