We know that people use the internet to research all kinds of products and services. In this study, we found that searching for hospitals is no exception. Of those who research online, three times more end up on hospital sites as a result of search. But they're not just visiting sites. They're also planning visits. Of patients who found hospitals on their mobile devices, 44% scheduled an appointment.
Google partnered with Compete, Inc. and fielded over 500 hospital researchers to understand what influences hospital selection and what role digital plays in the journey. Here are some highlights from the study:
- 84% of patients use both online and offline sources for hospital research.
- Search drives nearly 3x as many visitors to hospital sites compared to non-search visitors.
- Patients primarily search on symptoms and condition terms towards the moment of conversion.
- 44% of patients who research hospitals on a mobile device scheduled an appointment.
- 53% of patients who did not watch a hospital video were unaware they existed.