Where do you go when you're thinking of getting a new dishwasher? Online, of course. Even though most people don't purchase big-ticket, large appliances online, over half do their research there. In fact this study found that 75% of people who saw TV or newspaper ads looked those items up online within two weeks, while 28% of online conversions resulting from paid search.
66% of large appliance purchases - like stoves, refrigerators, dishwashers, washer/dryers - are driven by shoppers who are looking to replace broken appliances or looking to upgrade. Google engaged Compete in this 2012 study to understand how shoppers approach the purchase of these large ticket items. Here's what we found:
- While 92% of large appliance purchases are made offline, online influences almost half of all appliance sales.
- More than 3 in 4 TV and newspapers ad viewers research online within 2 weeks of exposure.
- 56% of large appliance shoppers look to home improvement websites for information, 54% to retail store websites and 35% to large appliance manufacturer websites.
- 37% check prices for large household appliances at other locations while in a store.
- 28% of search conversions for large appliances come from clicks on paid search ads.