You are reading part 6 of the 6-part 2022 Retail Marketing Guide. Jump to Chapter 1: Customers turn to Google every day to browse, research, and buy; Chapter 2: Build your brand and acquire new customers; or Chapter 3: Grow your online and in-app sales.
Shoppers are preparing for seasonal shopping moments earlier
The retail landscape in APAC is highly dynamic, with many seasonal shopping moments throughout the year, ranging from cultural occasions to mega shopping festivals and the end-of-year holiday season. Shoppers are increasingly primed for these seasonal shopping moments and they are starting the shopping process early. Search interest accelerates three to five weeks ahead of both cultural and sales-based shopping festivals.1 For instance, Indonesian shoppers begin their search for fasting-related products as early as four weeks ahead of Ramadan.2
Of holiday shoppers surveyed in 2021
In June 2021, we saw that stock issues were top of mind for holiday shoppers, with over 57% of shoppers surveyed saying they would start holiday shopping earlier to avoid an item being out of stock.3 Given the unpredictable nature of COVID-19 and how it may impact the supply chain this year, it’s possible that we’ll see similar issues next holiday season.
Set yourself up for seasonal success by using sales and promotions as key tools to drive demand at off-peak times. Check your channel measurement strategies, upload your products and holiday deals sooner, and reveal shipping and return offerings to attract holiday shoppers early.
Prepare for peak seasonal shopping moments earlier this year with Google
- Keep up with consumer demand with the Insights page in Google Ads and best sellers report.
- Give shoppers a reason to shop with you by adding information about promotions, sales, free and fast shipping options, and return and refund options directly to your product listings.
- Connect with local shoppers by creating a Business Profile and running a Local campaign.
Omnichannel shopping is the new normal
Shoppers continue to embrace omnichannel shopping, with the line between online and offline shopping becoming increasingly blurred. Even as shopping in-person has increased, consumers who have grown more comfortable with the digital world are also choosing to stay online. In 2021, more than 58% of consumers in India and China bought the majority of items they needed online instead of in-store,4 and in Southeast Asia, more than 7 in 10 adopted an omnichannel approach, using both online and offline touchpoints, when researching and purchasing products.5
Convenience is key for people, and they want to be able to choose how and where they shop. This is especially important for last-minute shoppers, who rely on local and nearby stores. We’ve seen this trend in Google Maps, where searches for “gift shops near me” have grown globally by over 60% year over year.6
Offer online visibility to your in-store inventory and a range of delivery and collection options to make the purchasing experience as seamless as possible.
Connect with omnichannel shoppers
Shoppers are turning to Google to explore and evaluate products
Shoppers, inundated with choice and unsure about purchase decisions, turn to Google at all stages of their purchase journeys for help in deciding what to buy. In a study of Southeast Asian shoppers, 75% of them said they used Google to search, explore, and evaluate products from brands.7
For retailers, visibility is critical to capturing these shoppers. Show up throughout the purchase journey with not only clear information about products, availability, and offers, but also inspiration-based content to pique their interest while browsing.
Meet your customers where they are
- Promote your products to the right customers at the right time across Google surfaces, like Search, YouTube, Gmail, and the Shopping tab. Smart Shopping campaigns provide access to this inventory through automated bidding and placements. Starting in April, Smart Shopping campaigns will upgrade to Performance Max campaigns.
- Inspire and engage shoppers as they browse Google’s personalized feeds on YouTube, Discover, and Gmail with Discovery campaigns.
- Use the power of video to inspire your customers to take action with Video action campaigns, and add a browsable product feed to show your best sellers directly alongside your video ad.
- Leverage Retail Partnerships with Google ads to drive traffic to your official brand stores or product pages on marketplace platforms.